March 10, 2011

Raw Emotions

Psalm 4

This Psalm starts off with a phrase that I don't think I've ever said to God, yet the writer does not shy away from his true deep emotions.
"Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God.  Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer."

Our God is a God who is big enough to handle our deepest emotions, the ones that may scare even us.  It is interesting that the writer does however, still address God with respect as, 'O my righteous God.'  I think this is important for us to remember, that even in our darkest moments when all seems to be against us, we can turn to God and question him, but it should not be out of a hate or arrogance.  What kind of God would he be if he did not allow us to respectfully question him but expected blindfolded fear?

No comments: