January 29, 2006

Gnostics

It seems today that some people in North American churches are running around in ingnorance as their thoughts and actions are tainted by Gnosticism. I say this because I have seen it in myself in the past. Such thinking as, “The World is evil,” “My body is a prison,” and “I am chained to my body.” Anything in life that is not spiritual is wrong. A lot of Christians do a lot of cutting for the wrong reasons. They cut out food, sex, love, humor, at an attempt to become ‘more spiritual.’
There is also the thinking that all that matters is religious stuff and life does not connect with religion. People completely neglect politics, finances and social action. They talk a lot and have many symbols but there is no substance. It seems that they have ‘no hands.’ They know about heart and mind change, but they are not really changed.
As I understood this, I also understood the following:

God used a human body to express his fullness.

9 comments:

Chris Massie said...

I find that I fit into that too. Hm. Thanks for bringing it up.

Billings said...

Josh is it just me or have you gotten smarter since you've stopped going to school?

t4stywh34t said...

Wow, great thoughts.

S.I. said...

I want to have a "my twin" link too! Twins are obviously the next coolest thing.

Warrior said...

Rob, I can't believe you forgot. You don't need a twin because you are one. I know you love being reminded!!!

Kris Gowdy said...

Do I have a twin?

Chris Massie said...

Gowdy, I think you could be Billings' twin, since Paul and Janes are twins, and since Rob forgot that he already is one. What a guy! All we need to do is get Jon to cut his hair, then he'd look more like you.

Billings said...

Yeah Rob. At least you're not know as "The Other Guy".

Kris Gowdy said...

It is unfortunate that a lot of the world's thinking has crept in virtually unnoticed to our practice of following Christ. I was recently shown how romanticism and some Platonic thinking have remained in the church until today. Be on guard folks!